Office location: Room L452 Tech
(McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science)
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston IL 60208-3118 USA
Telephone: (847) 491-7141
Fax: (847) 491-4455
Email address: peters -at- eecs.northwestern.edu
- Quality of Data in Sensor Networks
- An intelligent file system for parallel I/O systems
- Query cache management in data warehouses
- Data mining techniques for semi-structured data
- Data reduction techniques for on-line data mining
- Spatial data access methods and their efficient manipulation
- SCALAR: Scalable Architecture for Web Replication
- Context-Aware Computing with Applications to Public Health Management
Please see Database Systems Group pages for more details and relevant publications.
Recent Professional Activities
- Program Chair, IEEE Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA11) , Boston, August 2011
- Program Co-Chair, ACM-GIS 2009, Intern. Conf. on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, Seattle, November 2009
- General Co-Chair, MDM 2009, International Conference on Mobile Data Management, Taipei, Taiwan, May 2009
- Vice General Chair, 2006 ACM-SIGMOD, Intern. Conference on Management of Data, June 2006, Chicago
- General Chair, 22nd International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER 2003) Chicago, October 2003
- Program Co-Chair, NSF Workshop on Infrastructure for Mobile and Wireless Systems, Arizona, October 2001
- Program Co-Chair, Fifth IFCIS International Conference on Cooperative Information Systems (Coopis '2000), Eilat, Israel, September 2000
- Editor, ACM/Kluwer Wireless Networks
- Associate Editor, Data and Knowledge Engineering
- Editor, International Journal of Next-Generation Computing
- Member ACM-SIGMOD Advisory Committee 1998-2001
- Member ACM-SIGMOD Awards Committee, 1992-1997
Fellow of IEEE
Fellow of AAAS
Program Director, Operating Systems and Compilers, National Science Foundation, CISE Directorate, 1997-1998
- K. Zheng, G. Trajcevski, X. Zhou, and P. Scheuermann, "Probabilistic Range Queries for Uncertain Trajectories on Road Networks," Proceedings 14th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, Uppsala, Sweden, March 2011, pp. 283-294
- O. Ghica, G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, N. Valtchanov and Z. Bishop, "Controlled Multi-Path Routing in Sensor Networks Using Bezier Curves," to appear in The Computer Journal, Vol. 54, No. 2, Febr. 2011, pp. 230-254.
- G. Trajcevski, O. Ghica, M. Zuniga, E. Schubotz and M. Hauswirth, "Improving the Energy Balance of Field-based Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings IEEE Globecom 2010 Conference, Miami, Dec. 2010
- O. Ghica, G. Trajcevski, O. Wolfson, U. Buy, P. Scheuermann, F. Zhou, "Trajectory Data Reduction in Wireless Sensor Networks," International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, Vol. 1. No.1 July 2010, pp. 28-51.
- O. Ghica, G. Trajcevski, F. Zhou, R. Tamassia, P. Scheuermann, "Selecting Tracking Principals with Epoch Awareness," Proc. ACM-GIS Conference, Nov. 2010, San Jose, pp. 22-231
- S. Yazji, X. Chen, R. Dick and P. Scheuermann, "Implicit User Re-Authentication for Mobile Devices," Proc. 6th Intern. Conf on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, Brisbane, Australia, July 2009, Springer-Verlag LNCS 5585, pp. 325-339.
- G. Trajcevski, R. Tomassia, H. Ding, P. Scheuermann and I. Cruz, "Continuous Probabilistic Nearest-Neighbor Queries for Uncertain Trajectories," Proc. 12th Intern. Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), St.Petersburg, Russia, March 2009, pp. 874-885
- H. Ding, G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, X. Wang, E. Keogh, "Querying and Mining of Time Series Data: Experimental Comparison of Representations and Distance Measures," to appear in Proceedings of VLDB conference 2008, Aukland, New Zealand, August 2008
- G. Trajcevski, O. Ghica, P. Scheuermann, R. Tamassia, I. Cruz, "Alternating Multiple Tributaries+Deltas," Proceedings of DMSN Workshop 2008, August 2008
- H. Ding, G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, "Efficient Similarity Join of Large Sets of Moving Object Trajectories," Proceedings of 2008 IEEE TIME conference, Montreal, Canada, June 2008
- G. Trajcevski, H.Ding, P. Scheuermann, R .Tamassia, D. Vaccaro," Dynamics-Aware Similarity of Moving Objects Trajectories," Proceedings of ACM GIS 2007 , Seattle, November 2007
- H.Ding, G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, "Efficient Maintenance of Continuous Queries for Trajectories," GeoInformatica, Volume 12, Number 3, September, 2008, pp. 255 - 288
- G. Trajcevski, H.Ding, P. Scheuermann, Isabel F. Cruz, "BORA: Routing and Aggregation for Distributed Processing of Spatio-Temporal Range Queries," Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mobile Data management (MDM), Mannheim, Germany, May 2007, pp 36-43
- H.Ding, A.Yalamanchi, R.Kothuri, S.Ravada, P. Scheuermann," QACHE: Query Caching in Location-Based Services," Proceedings of 12th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling, Vienna, Austria., July 2006, pp 99-116
- H.Ding, G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, "OMCAT: Optimal Maintenance of Continuous Queries Answers for Trajectories," (DEMO paper), Proceedings of 2006 SIGMOD Conference, Chicago, U.S.A., June 2006.
- G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, O. Ghica, A. Hinze and A. Voisard, "Evolving Triggers for Dynamic Environments," Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), Munich, Germany, March 2006.
- G. Trajcevski, O. Ghica and P. Scheuermann," CAR: Controlled Adjustment of Routes and Sensor Network Lifetime," Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Mobile Data Management, Nara, Japan, May 2006.
- G. Trajcevski, H. Ding, P. Scheuermann, "Context-Aware Optimization of Continuous Range Queries Maintanence of Trajectories," Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, (MobiDE) 2005, pp. 1-8.
- G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, H. Bronnimann and A. Voisard, "Dynamic Topological Predicates and Notifications in Moving Objects Databases," Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM05), Cyprus, May 2005, pp. 77-85.
- A. Pashtan, A. Heusser, P. Scheuermann," Personal Service Areas for Mobile Web Applications," IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 8, No. 4, November/December 2004, pp. 34-39.
- H. Bronnimann, B. Chen, M. Dash, P. Haas and P. Scheuermann, "Efficient Data-Reduction Methods for On-line Association Rule Discovery," Data Mining: Next Generation Challenges and Future Directions, Chapter 4, AAAI Press, October 2004, pp. 190-208.
- G. Trajcevski and P. Scheuermann, "Reactive Maintenance of Continuous Queries," Mobile Computing and Communications Review, Vol. 8, No. 3, July 2004, pp. 20-31.
- M. Dash, S. Petrutiu and P. Scheuermann, "Efficient Parallel Hierarchical Clustering," Proc. 10th International Euro-Par Conference, Italy, September 2004, LNCS 3149, pp. 363-371.
- G. Trajcevski, P. Scheuermann, H. Brönnimann "Mission-Critical Management of Mobile Sensors (or, How to Guide a Flock of Sensors)," Proceedings 1st International Workshop on Data Management for Sensor Networks, August 2004, pp. 111-118.
- H. Brönnimann, B. Chen, M. Dash, P. Haas, P. Scheuermann, "Efficient Data Reduction with EASE," Proceedings SIGKDD 2003 Conference, August 2003, Washington DC, pp. 59-68.
- G. Trajecvski and P. Scheuermann, Triggers and Continuous Queries in Moving Objects Databases," Proc. MDDS Workshop on Mobility in Databases and Distributed Systems (DEXA Workshops), Sept. 2003, pp. 905-910.
- A. Pashtan, A. Heusser, P. Scheuermann, R. Blaettler, "A Context-Aware Tourist Information System," Proceedings 4th International Workshop of Mobile Computing, Rostock, June 2003
- M. Sayal, P. Scheuermann, R. Vingralek, " Content Replication in Web++," Proceedings 2nd Intern. Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, Cambridge, April 2003
- M. Dash, H. Liu, P. Scheuermann, and C.L. Tan, "Efficient Hierarchical Clustering and its Validation," Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Vol. 44, January 2003, pp. 109-138
- M. Dash, K. Choi, P. Scheuermann, and H. Liu, Feature Selection for Clustering -- A Filter Solution, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), December 2002, pp. 115-122
- Bin Chen, Peter Haas and Peter Scheuermann, A New Two-Phase Sampling Based Algorithm for Discovering Association Rules, in Proceedings ACM-SIGKDD Conference, Edmonton, Canada, July 2002, pp. 462-468
- Birgitta Konig-Ries, Kia Makki, Sam Makki, Charles Perkins, Niki Pissinou, Peter Reiher, Peter Scheuermann, Jari Veijalainen and Ouri Wolfson, On Building An Infrastructure for Mobile and Wireless Systems, in SIGMOD Record, Volume 31, Number 2, June 2002, pp. 73-79.
- Mehmet Sayal and Peter Scheuermann, A Distributed Clustering Algorithm for Web-Based Access Patterns, in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM-SIGMOD Workshop on Distributed and Parallel Knowledge Discovery, Boston, August 2000
- Radem Vingralek, Yuri Breitbart, Mehmet Sayal and Peter Scheuermann, Web++: A System for Replication of Web Resources, The WWW Journal, Volume 3, No.2, Summer 2000, pp. 65-77.
- Lisa Singh, Bin Chen, Rebecca Haight, Peter Scheuermann, An Algorithm for Constrained Association Rule Mining in Semi-structured Data, Proceedings 1999 Pacific Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Databases, April 1999, Beijing, China. pp. 148-158.
- Junho Shim, Peter Scheuermann and Radek Vingralek, Dynamic Caching of Query Results for Decision Support Systems, Proceedings of the 11th Intermn. Conf. on Statistical and Scientific Database Management, July 1999, Cleveland pp. 254-263.
- Junho Shim, Peter Scheuermann, and Radek Vingralek, Proxy Cache Design: Algorithms, Implementation and Performance, in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1999.
- Radek Vingralek, Yuri Breitbart, Mehmet Sayal, Peter Scheuermann, Web++: A System for Fast and Reliable Web Service, in Proceedings of 1999 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Monterey, California, June 1999, pp. 171-184.
- Peter Scheuermann, Gerhard Weikum, Peter Zabback, Data Partitioning and Load Balancing in Parallel Disk Systems, The VLDB Journal, Volume 7, Number 1, February 1998, pp. 48-66.
- L. Lee, P. Scheuermann, R. Vingralek, File Assignment in Parallel I/O Systems with Minimal Variance of Service Time, in IEEE Trans. on Computers, 1998.
- Lisa Singh, Bin Chen, Rebecca Haight, Peter Scheuermann, Kiyoko Aoki: A Robust System Architecture for Mining Semi-Structured Data, KDD 1998.
- Peter Scheuermann, Eugene Inseok Chong: "Adaptive Algorithms for Join Processing in Distributed Database Systems", Distributed and Parallel Dabatases, volume 5, page 233-269, 1997 : Part 1, 2, 3, 4,
- Peter Scheuermann, Junho Shim, Radek Vingralek: WATCHMAN : A Data Warehouse Intelligent Cache Manager, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Bombay, India, 1996, pp. 51-62
- Wiebren de Jonge, Peter Scheuermann, Ardie Schijf: "S+-trees: An Efficient Structure for the Representation of Large Pictures," Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing: Image Understanding , Vol. 59, No. 3, May 1994, pp. 265-280.
Please refer to DB&LP Bibliography pages for a more complete list of database related publications.