Top 10 reasons to become involved in NWU-OSA:
- Social value, excuse to get out of the lab. Never underestimate the power of contacts.
Optics is a subject that has become increasingly multidiciplenary.
NWU-OSA members include students from EE/CS, Physics, Chemistry, Biomedical, Mechanical and Civil Engineering, and Material Science departments.
NWU-OSA is a forum for OPTICS and can catalyze departmental and inter- departmental relations between distinct research groups.
- Might learn something? NWU-OSA sponsors over 10 symposia/seminars throughout the year, featuring speakers from industry, NWU and other invited professors, grad students, etc.
Past talks include subjects ranging from technical talks Microchip/Microdisk Lasers, Image Processing, and Squeezed Light to Entrepreneurship and how to obtain funding for a start up venture.
- Journals subscriptions. Physics Today and Optics and Photonics News (OPN) are
complimentarty with membership. Other journals are at substancially reduced rates for students, usually 50% off.
- Travel Grants, over the past two years, three NWU-OSA student members received travel grants exceeding $1500 to attend optics conferences. These grants tend to make advisor very happy.
- WWW Optics Page. Let the world know what's happening at NWU.
- NWU, Purdue, U of Ill. Regional Meetings. Opportunity to interact w/ students from other universities, visit labs, etc.
- Field Trips to industry.
- High School Outreach Program, contribute something to the local community and improve university relations w/ community.
- Warm fuzzy feeling
- The Pizza.
This page is maintained by Glenn Bartolini and Susan Hagness.
Last Modified: 15 January 1997