Awards and Honors
|Frontiers of Engineering
National Academy of Engineering
Optical Society of America, Recognized for "Significant contribution in the field of photon detectors and related".
||Faculty Roll Honor
Northwestern University Associated Student Government
International Society for Optical Engineering, Recognized for "Specific achievements in optoelectronic devices for photon detection."
|Top Researcher Award
EECS Department, Northwestern University
|Young Faculty Award
Defense Advanced Research Agency (DARPA)
|Selected and Funded by NSF
US Delegate Team for the first US-Korea Nano-manufacturing and Direct Self-Assembly
National Science Foundation
|Selected and funded by NSF
US Delegate Team for the NSF-MEXT US-Japan Young Scientist Exchange Program on Nanotechnology
|Searle Junior Fellow
|Best Ph.D. Thesis Award
Robert McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University.
|Best Student Paper Award
(first place among 52 selected papers internationally) International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, Virginia.
|Walter P. Murphy Fellowship Award
External Activities and Services
- Associate Editor, IEEE Photonics Journal
- Associate Editor, Optics Letters
- Guest Editor, IEEE Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics
- Associated Editor, Frontiers in Optics and Material
- Elected TC Chair for Integrated Optics and Optoelectronics Division, IEEE Laser and Electro-Optics Society (2007-2010).
- International Advisory Committee Member, International Joint Journal Conference in Engineering (2009-2010).
- International Advisory Committee Member, International Conference on Control, Communication and Power Engineering - CCPE (2010-2012)
Conference Chair & Co-Chair
- Bio-sensing and Nano-medicine, SPIE Optics & Photonics (2012)
- Mid-Infrared Optoelectronics: Materials and Devices (2012)
- Bio-sensing-III, SPIE Optics & Photonics (2010)
- Optics and Photonics, IEEE-MWSCAS (2009)
- Integrated Optics & Optoelectronics, LEOS Annual Meeting (2008)
- Nano-Science and Engineering symposium, SPIE Optics and Photonics Conference (2008)
- Enabling Photonic Technologies for Defense, Security, and Aerospace Applications, SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando FL (2007)
Technical Program Committees
- Euro-American Workshop on Information Optics, Benicassim, Spain (2011)
- IEEE/ICNSC International Conference on Networking Sensing and Control, Delft, The Netherlands (2011)
- Euro-American Workshop on Information Optics, Helsinki, Finland (2010)
- IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, Chicago, IL (2010)
- SPIE International Symposium, Quantum Sensing, Photonics West, San Jose CA (2007)
- IEEE Laser Electro-Optics Society (LEOS) 20th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada (2006)
- SPIE International Symposium, Photonics West, San Jose CA (2006)
- IEEE Laser Electro-Optics Society (LEOS) 19th Annual Meeting, Sydney Australia (2005)
Review Panels (for confidentiality, older than 3 yrs.)
- Department of Energy (DOE), Basic Energy Sciences (2011)
- National Science Foundation (NSF), International Research Fellowship Program (2011)
- European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant review panel (2010)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - EPDT (2010)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - EPDT (2009)
- National Institute of Health (NIH) - Challenge Grant (2009)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) -Physics Division (2009)
- US-Isreal Bi-national review panel (2009)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - Major Equipment Grants (2009)
- European Research Council (ERC) review panel (2008-2012)
- National Science Foundation review panel for Nanoscale Interdisciplinary Research Teams (NIRT-2007)
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) (2007)
Recent Invited and Keynote Talks:
- The 10th Asia-Pacific Conference on Near-field Optics, Hokkaido, Japan (2015)
- International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies, Suntec, Singapore (2015)
- Biomedical Engineering Department, Brown University, Providence, RI (2015)
- Frontiers in Optics (FIO), San Jose, CA (2015)
- Rowland Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (2015)
- Future Trends in Microelectronics, Mallorca, Spain, (2015)
- University of Arizona College of Optical Sciences Colloquium, Tuscan, AZ (2015)
- Euro-American Workshop on Information Optics, Neuchatel, Switzerland (2014)
- Quantum Structured Infrared Photodetector International Conference, Santa Fe, NM (2014)
- UCLA Department of Electrical Engineering Seminar, CA (2014)
- Nano & Giga Challenges in Electronics, Photonics & Renewable Energy, Phoenix, Arizona (2014)
- International Conference and Exhibition on Lasers, Optics & Photonics, Philadelphia (2014)
- SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing , Baltimore, MD (2014)
- PITTCON, Chicago, IL (2014)
- SPIE Photonic West, San Jose, CA (2014)
- H. Mohseni, US Patent #
7,745,816 "Single-photon detector with a quantum dot and a nano-injector" 2010.
- H. Mohseni, US Patent application #20100080954 "Process for formation of highly uniform arrays of nano-holes and nano-pillars" 2010.
- H Kwakernaak, H. Mohseni, and G. Pajer, US Patent # 7,546,011 "Monolithically integrated optical devices with amorphous silicon arrayed waveguidi gratings and INGaAsP gain " 2009.
- H. Mohseni, J. Abeles, M. Kwakernaak, and V. Khalfin, U.S. Patent# 7,376,319 "Vertically Coupled Large Area Amplifier" 2008.
- H. Mohseni and W. Chan, US Patent # 7,026,641 "Electrically tunable quantum dots and methods for making and using for same" 2006.
- H. Mohseni, US Patent # 7,064,881 "InP-based phase modulators and methods for making and using for same" 2006.
- US Patent application #20050117844 "Method and system for coupling waveguides" 2005.
- US Patent J. Abeles, A. Braun, V. Khalfin, M. Kwakernaak, R. Martinelli, H. Mohseni, US Patenet # 7,477,670 "High power diode laser based source" 2009.
- US Patent application # 20070147762, International Patent # WO2007044543 "Interface for a-Si waveguides and III/V waveguides." 2007.
- US Patent application # 20070160326, International Patent Application # WO2007044545 "Monolithically integrated optical devices with amorphous silicon arrayed waveguide gratings and InGaAsP gain" 2007.
- US Patent application # 20050721007 "A Single-photon Detector and Application of Same" 2007.
- US patent application # 20050724535; International Patent application # WO2007044542 "Method of reducing edge height at the overlap of a layer deposited on the edge of a stepped substrate" 2007.
- International Patent application # WO2007044554 "Amorphous silicon waveguides on III/V substrates with a barrier layer" 2007