Brief bio: I received my BS degree in Informatics and Automation from the University of Sts. Kiril i Metodij in Skopje, and my MS and PhD from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I joined the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Northwestern University in 2004 as a PostDoc, advised by Peter Scheuermann.
My broad research interests are in the areas of Mobile Data Management and Moving Objects Databases (MOD); Data Management in Sensor Networks; and Reactive Behavior in Dynamic and Distributed Environments.
I have worked on developing efficient algorithms for processing continuous spatio-temporal queries in MOD settings, applying Computational Geometry techniques to handle the impact of uncertainty for the location-in-time information. I have also worked on spatio-temporal data compression, both over historic trajectories as well as on-line streams of (location,time). Part of the work was implemented in the DOMINO project, when I was a member of the DBMC lab at the UIC, directed by my PhD thesis advisor, Prof. Ouri Wolfson.
My works in wireless sensor networks mostly focused on spatial balancing of the energy expenditure via multipath routing, trade-offs between energy-efficiency and quality (precision and timelines) of tracking, and selection of tracking principals. I participated in a project related to security (attacks and defense mechanisms) in multipath routing. My more recent research has targeted the problems of tracking evolving shapes and providing indexing structures for combining physical-space and data-space aggregations, with both static and mobile sensors. As part of the results, the SIDnet SWANS simulator was developed, the main developer being Oliviu Ghica - a former PhD student co-advised with Peter Scheuermann. In addition, several demo-papers were presented in the SenSys conference.
Honors and awards
- ACM Senior Member, 2015
- Best Teacher Award: EECS Department, Northwestern University, 2014.
- Favorite Teacher Award: MSiA program, Northwestern University, 2014.
- Best Short Paper Award: 16th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), 2013.
- Best Paper Award: 11th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), 2010.
- Best Paper Award: 7th International Conference on Cooperative Information Systems (CoopIS), 2000.
- US Geological Survey Scholar: Fall 2000.
- Best PhD Thesis Nominee: College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003.
Other Professional Services
- Workshops Co-Chair (with Egemen Tanin): ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, 2015.
- Advanced Seminars Co-Chair (with Vladimir Olenchuk): IEEE MDM, 2015.
- General Co-Chair (with Elisa Bertino): IEEE ICDE, 2014.
- Program Committee Co-Chair (with Yannis Manolopouls): ADBIS, 2014.
- PhD Colloquium Chair: IEEE MDM, 2011.
- Local Organization Chair: ACM SIGMOD, 2006; ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, 2011.
- Associate Editor:
- In addition to participating as a PC member in numerous conferences and workshops, I am also a Meta-reviewer for the ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, 2015.
TEL (847) 491-7069 / FAX (847) 491-4455
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL, 60208
Affiliated research divisions:
CAA - Computing, Algorithms & Applications
CES - Computer Engineering & Systems